Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Squash-browns

We have really been enjoying these make ahead breakfast sandwiches lately. We decided to have them again this week for breakfast, but I wanted to do something a little different. Two thoughts came to mind:

1) I really should eat more vegetables, especially at breakfast. I have no problem getting enough fruit in each day, and I love vegetables but still sometimes struggle getting in enough servings. Why not add more at breakfast?

2) I love potatoes. I love hash browns with breakfast. I should incorporate hash browns into my breakfasts more often.



That's when an idea formed. I can get more veggies in at breakfast by using squash to make squash cakes, or "squash browns"! Before anyone jumps up and down and pointing out that I'm essentially pan frying these in butter, yes-I am completely aware of that. And I'm ok with that. I didn't say I wanted to cut down the fat. I want to add more veggies to my diet. Baby steps people.

Making these was fairly simple. I had spaghetti squash leftover from last year's garden. (Side note: I can't believe it's February and I'm STILL enjoying fresh produce from the garden) And I also had some shredded zucchini in the freezer, also from last year's garden. The first step was to roast the spaghetti squash. (cut in half, scoop out seeds, oil and salt, into a 400 degree oven for about an hour)


And I'll refer to that last picture as "caramelized", not "burned". No, I didn't forget it was in the oven....not me....never.

Anyway, add to that some shredded zucchini, bread crumbs, an egg, parsley, and salt. Amounts will vary depending on the size of your squash. I used about a palmful of bread crumbs-just enough to make the cakes stay together. Mix well.


Meanwhile, heat a couple tablespoons butter in a pan, cast iron was my choice. When the butter is hot and the bubbling has started to subside, drop in your squash patty. I used my largest kitchen scoop, then used the back to flatten it out a bit. Let them cook until the bottoms set enough to flip them over-very carefully. They are super fragile, so let them cook long enough on each side so they are only flipped once. Let the second side cook until it's set, then carefully transfer to either a rack or a newspaper lined plate to absorb any excess butter (not pictured). Add a bit of fresh cracked pepper to each one and you're ready to go!




These are great by themselves, or they can be added to a breakfast sandwich, like these. Either way, they are a hit!


No comments: