Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Dutch Oven Lamb Neck

I've always rooted for the underdog. Maybe that's why I look for under appreciated cuts of meat. So when I saw lamb neck slices available, I had to try them out. We're big fans of lamb around here, and I had a new cast iron dutch oven that I was itching to try out, so this would be perfect.


Ingredients

Lamb Neck Slices, generously salted
Olive Oil
1 pint chicken stock
4 carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T rosemary
2 t cumin
1/2 c red wine
1 pint diced tomatoes
1 c royal blend rice
salt and pepper to taste



I started out with some olive oil in the bottom of the dutch oven over medium heat, and browned both sides of the meat. While the meat was browning, I sliced, diced and minced carrots, celery, onion and garlic.


Then I removed the lamb and added in the veggies and garlic.

Let them soften, then add in chicken stock, red wine, tomatoes, rosemary




Mix it all together

Then add the meat back in.

Put the lid on and cook in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours. Remove the pot and stir in 1 c rice. Stir and return to oven for 20-30 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir around and season with salt and pepper to taste.


The meat just fell off the bone and the veggies and rice really picked up the lamb flavor. These less common cuts may take a little more prep effort and a longer cook time, but the result is worth it!


No comments: