Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Chicken Helper to the Rescue!

For the last few months, I've been MIA. We've been house hunting, then packing and finally moving! It's been crazy around our place since February, but I'm finally (almost) settled in! Woohoo! During this whole process, most of my kitchen was boxed up and quite honestly, I was exhausted. That's why I was so excited when I received two boxes of Hamburger Helper in the mail from Betty Crocker and General Mills! I received Sweet & Sour Chicken Helper and Parmesan Crusted Chicken Helper. 




We decided to try to the Sweet & Sour Chicken Helper just before the big move. Unlike the usual "one pan, one pound, one happy family" tagline, this version requires two pans-more specifically, one pot and one pan. The pot is for the rice and it's just plain white rice, so I didn't snap any pictures of that. 
 
As for the main event, we decided to use pork instead of chicken. (On that note-Hamburger Helper really needs to make some Pork Helper!) I cut up some pork chops, tossed the pieces in the special coating, and par-cooked them. 

Then, I mixed up the sweet and sour sauce and added it to the pan. I have to admit, I was a little concerned at this point-it looked funny and I wasn't sure it was going to turn out right. 

But as it kept cooking, things definitely started coming together! 


In the end, the sauce was thick and sticky and tasted great!  My family loved it and we will definitely make this again-probably with pork! 



I used more than one pound of pork and there was plenty of sauce left to pour over the rice.


As a member of the Hamburger Helper community, I occasionally receive products free of charge. The information and above product have been provided free of charge by Betty Crocker and General Mills through MyInsite. However, the opinions in this blog post are those of myself and my family.

No comments: