Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Made From Scratch Tuesday 2/14

For our pre-Valentine's Day dinner, the husband and I had a wonderful lobster dinner. I have to admit, I was scared of the lobster. I always look at the tank at the store and think maybe that will be the day I finally conquer the fear. I finally decided to just do it. So, off to the store we go and I picked out two feisty lobsters. Unfortunately, I was freaked out by the bag moving and made the husband carry it. I figured I would have to work up the nerve to pick them up, so I decided to make some butter while I gathered my nerves.

For the butter, pour some cream into the bowl of your stand mixer and turn on high. Add salt to taste.

Mix until it gets fluffy

Then keep mixing until it looks like scrambled eggs and milk


At this point, gather all the butter together and squeeze into a ball (or three). Pour the buttermilk into a container and save for pancakes, biscuits, or my favorite-red velvet cake! 

At this point, the butter is ready to use. If you want to keep it around for a few days, rinse the butter  under cold water, squeezing as you go until the liquid coming out of the butter is clear. Now your butter is ready to go! And the possibilities are endless with your fresh butter! Add in some honey, cinnamon, or whatever else you can think of! For us, that meant adding garlic. I roasted a clove of garlic and squeezed it out into a bowl of melted butter with the juice of a lemon.

It was perfect with our lobsters!

Now it's time to link up all of your creations!
Here are the rules:
1. You can link up as many posts as you'd like.
2. The post has to be made from scratch.
3. The post you link up MUST CONTAIN A RECIPE! 
4. If you want to put my button somewhere, that'd be cool. You can grab the code for the Made From Scratch Tuesday button on the top right of my sidebar. 
 


Photobucket

5 comments:

Jill@RealFoodForager.com said...

Hi,
I shared a recipe for braised short ribs with gravy, Valentine Day Linzer Hearts.

Your butter looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting! Have a wonderful Valentine's Day

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting! :)

Unknown said...

::giggle:: yes, the live lobsters freaked me out too ... then Hubby was diving and boy, they really are lively and frisky to say the least! Now that we are older, we let our younger friends share their catches with us :) (that paper bag walking across the grocery cart still makes me shudder!)

Amanda said...

I've never eaten lobster. The thought of them being cooked alive freaks me out. I love the butter though! I think I will be trying that soon.